Penn House, Yeovil, Somerset
Client: Somerset Partnership NHS Trust
Site: Grade II listed building. The main block is essentially the Georgian house built for Peter Daniell around 1780 as the first house to be built on Penn Hill which rises immediately south of the historic core of Yeovil, and played an important role in the Georgian and Victorian expansion of the town. It was modernised in the mid 19th century probably by the attorney, John Slade, with a fine conservatory added in the 1870s by Jabez Bradford, a corn and timber merchant. In 1962 it was leased to the Ministry of Health and acquired for Social Services in 1983. Late 20th century alterations were extensive, though largely superficial.
Summary of Project: An historic appraisal with documentary research and photographic record.
Objective: To provide the Trust and their advisors with an account of the historic value of the property in order to assess potential options.
Stratton House, High West Street, Dorchester
Client: West Dorset District Council
Site: A large Grade II* listed town house built in 1883 to the designs of G R Crickmay of Weymouth, occupying the site of three former properties in the centre of Dorchester. Thomas Hardy later worked in Crickmay’s office as an architect. The house had substantial gardens, later converted to a car park, and a lodge and stable block, which survives. It became part of the offices of West Dorset District Council.
Summary of Project: Documentary research and buildings analysis.
Objective: To develop a good understanding of the building as the basis of future use.
7-9 Colleton Crescent, Exeter, Devon
Site: The three houses at the east end of Colleton Crescent are all listed Grade II*. It is a particularly fine row of Georgian brick houses designed for the richer merchants of the town. The Crescent is designed to be seen from the west. It stands high and dominant on a bluff above the River Exe and the canal basin. It was built to a unified design and was developed by the Colleton family on former rack-fields. In fact the houses of the Crescent were built over a period of nearly 30 years. No 7 is the eastern one of the five original houses built between 1802–1805. No 8 was the first addition to the Crescent from c.1814. No 9 was the last house to be built on the Crescent in c.1830-31.
Summary of Project: Documentary research, appraisal of historic fabric and development.
Objective: To inform repair and options for modernisation.
Waring Bowen House, Exeter, Devon
Site: Detached Georgian house, formerly known as The Poplars and probably built in 1789 for the ship builder, Robert Davey. Around the 1970s it was acquired by the British Rheumatism and Arthritis Association and converted to a care home. This involved the construction of new institutional blocks around the house and various adaptations to the old house. Despite appearances the house was found to be better-preserved than appeared at first sight.
Summary of Project: Appraisal of historic fabric and development of the house.
Objective: To inform repair and conversion to apartments.