Rowe’s Leadworks, Anchor Lane, Bristol
Site: Unlisted building in a significant zone of riverside development. The site of an infilled dry dock was acquired by the Rowe Brothers, who, in 1884 built the leadworks to the designs of the architect Herbert J Jones of Bristol. In 1900-1 the works were effectively doubled in size. The extensions were built in similar style to the original with more elaborate masonry detailing. There were then minor additions from 1902 and 1905. This factory apparently remained largely unaltered until a devastating fire in 1950 destroyed much of the east and northern ranges. These were rebuilt with a reinforced cement frame and brick infill.
Summary of Project: To provide a photographic record ahead of conversion and (in two places) provide measured survey elevations illustrating the remains of the original factory.
Objective: Record survey in mitigation of proposed development.
The Electricity Works, Exeter
Client: Included in an appraisal of the buildings of the City Basin for Exeter City Council. Watching brief during works for a private client.
Site: This impressive unlisted building was built in 1903-4 for Exeter City Council in an Edwardian version of a Queen Anne mannerist style. It was designed by the Council architect Donald Cameron, Hector Munro was the electrical engineer and William Brealy the builder, according to a plaque in the entrance hall. It was enlarged in the early 20th century and the north end was rebuilt behind the old façade c.1970. What is missing is the enormous chimney on an extension at the south (left-hand) end.
Summary of Project: Firstly Exeter City Council commissioned a report on all the buildings and architectural features of the Canal Basin. Each was discussed individually in terms of their importance to their setting and their architectural contribution to the conservation area. Secondly Keystone undertook a watching brief during the conversion of the building to commercial use.
Objective: The Canal Basin is under pressure for commercial development. Exeter City Council sought an understanding of the significance of the existing buildings.
The Kennet and Avon Canal
Client: Waterway Environment Services
Site: The Kennet and Avon Canal built 1793-1810 following a survey by John Rennie Senior and saved from closure in the 1950s by a public campaign.
Summary of Project: Keystone undertook historical research targeted at particular aspects of the canal, including channel lining and edge treatment, and specific features, including the Caen Hill locks.
Objective: To inform engineers undertaking restoration work grant-aided by the Heritage Lottery Fund.
The Miners’ Dry, Mary Tavy, Devon
Client: Dartmoor National Park Authority
Site: The remains of a heated changing room for miners working at Wheal Friendship, a Dartmoor mine that produced arsenic and copper. There are scarcely any remains of Wheal Friendship above ground. Miners emerging from an eight-hour shift were sometimes wet through from the conditions underground as well as drenched in sweat after the long ascent to the surface on ladders. Miners’ Drys were heated changing rooms where they could change their clothes before what was often a long walk home. This is the last surviving miners’ dry in Devon.
Summary of Project: Building recording, research and analysis.
Objective: To better understand the building in order to make well-informed decisions about its repair and/or redevelopment.